Saturday, July 31, 2010

Is it possible for a child to be a Bone Marrow match to her parent?

I'm just wondering if it's possible for a child to donate blood marrow to thier parent. I've heard of siblings, but not of parent's and I can't find anything on Google.Is it possible for a child to be a Bone Marrow match to her parent?
Typically no but I have heard of cases where the child has donated to the parents. I'm not sure of the long term outcome though.





An important thing to keep in mind is when they do bone marrow matching, they look at something called HLA markers. The more HLA markers that match, the better. Based on this, a child will likely not match atleast half of the markers since half of their HLA genes come from the father and half from the mother.





I hope that helps.


check out: http://www.marrow.org/PATIENT/Donor_Select_Tx_Process/The_Search_Process/HLA_Matching_Finding_the_Best_/index.html for more details

No comments:

Post a Comment