Saturday, July 31, 2010

What are some challenges of attending college as a working parent?

im a father of 1 soon will be 2 and im planning on attending schoolWhat are some challenges of attending college as a working parent?
It will be hard, trust me I know. But I swear its so worth it in the end. My husband is going to go back to school here in a few months so he'll be working and go to school also (im no longer working so I can finish school faster). But in the end think about how much better your life and your families life will be.What are some challenges of attending college as a working parent?
My personal experience with this has show me that (at least in our case) the biggest hurdle was what to do about work/school/home-with-child schedules. Work and school both require a lot of time and effort, and chances are your partner will also be working. This all leaves little time for family, and that gets tired really fast for people who like to be close with their loved ones. I can't comment on your financial situation, nor would I ask, but things can get really tight money-wise when attending school. I'm not trying to put you off it, as I have a great deal of respect for higher education, but since you asked...
Do it!!! It is exhausting and complicated and all of those other things, but don't let parenthood stop you from living your own fulfilled life.





I continued to work full time and go to University after I had my first son. The biggest complication is balancing everything. I was lucky to have supportive family and a supportive partner - but if I could go back I would have worked part time and only went to school part time. It was too much for me at the time. After I had my second son, I was lucky to be able to work only 3 days a week (10 hour shifts) and still maintain my benefits. It left me 4 days a week to focus on school (I dropped my school load to part time) and my children. It was hard, I won't lie. But not impossible.





It might take a bit longer to get through it, but it's so worth it.
I tried it as a mom. My son was a couple months old, I worked for my father and law, and took an online class. I was too tired, of course, I was a new mom too, and I just jumped back into all of it after giving birth. It can be done, but it is hard. If your partner is supportive and willing to help out more (they will have to do more with the kids so you can work and go to school). Just plan your schedule and try to be flexible....the best you can as a parent.
For two years I was a single mom of two kids, with help from family I was able to make it. The hardest part is lack of sleep and balancing family time with school work. I found that the best time to study was when the kids were alseep. I put them to bed at 8 and did my homework and studied until 11 then went to bed myself. Up about 530 to start the day all over again....Good luck and don't let the stress get to you. It will only make it worse.
I raise three boys, run a household, work full time, and go to school full time, as well! What are some of the challenges??


1. Sleep


2. Time


3. Sleep


4. Time


5. Time


6. Time





It's hard-esp. being mom! Luckily, I work mostly on weekends, and am home 3 nights a week to have dinner with the family, BUT...I must plan things way ahead of time, everyone is on a schedule, and laundry must never fall behind. I usually do my school work while the kids are in school or when they go to bed. Sometimes I have to stop and make sure my husband remembers who I am-other than the pre-planned dinner and clean shorts-but then it's right back to the books!


What gets ya through? Keeping your eye on the prize-knowing in a few years, this life will be where we want it to be due to our dedication and hard work.


Good Luck!


There is LOTS of support out there when you do begin, so keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment