Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How do you deal with having a bipolar parent?

me, well, that's why im asking.How do you deal with having a bipolar parent?
I am a mum with Bi polar, I am assuming that the parent has been honest about their illness. If not you need to try and sit down and have a friendly chat. I did that with both my children, and explained when I was having my bad episodes that it was NOT their fault it was my illness.and that my love for them would never ever go away, I know my children find it hard as i am sure you do with the ups and the downs. My children now know when mum is not well that it takes a few days for the medication to help me, I can imagine that it is very hard for you. But please remember, and as i spaek as a mum, even on my really bad days I love my children and I am sure your parent does. There are some really good websites out there, even i did research so I could understand my illness, not just for me but my childrens sake. And dont forget if your parent has a care team, ask your parent if you could also speak to them. Then maybe you can be involved with their care plan which will help you feel included instead of exluded. As this illness will not go away but can be well managed. I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago and with the right meds my family are more at peace as i have longer periods of good days.


Good luck and I hope that you have a good support base, you need it just as much as your parent does.


Thinking of you xHow do you deal with having a bipolar parent?
Get them medication and therapy.





Then love them anyway.
a polar bear parent buy them a frozen treat at 7/11
  • sunscreen
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment