Tuesday, August 24, 2010

If you are a full time step parent please tell me how do you find it?

If your step child is same gender as you does it create unhealthy competition over your partner? What's hers or his relationship like with half brothers and sisters? What was it like when the first one was born?If you are a full time step parent please tell me how do you find it?
I hated my stepmother for a long time. When my father remarried I was only 4 but found every way I could to get them separated. I kept it in my head that she was there just to steal him away from me. They had my brother when I was 6 and my sister when I was 9. My relationship with them was really rocky at first but I grew to love them. I didn't want anything to do with them because they were apart of her and I was worried that they would try to take my place. I soon realized though that they weren't going anywhere and today I love them more then ever. My sister is now having my first nephew and I couldn't be happier. As for my step mom, she is the greatest.If you are a full time step parent please tell me how do you find it?
I don't find myself competing for my partner's affection or attention with my stepdaughter. We are all aware of the difference between an adult's relationship with another adult and a parent's relationship with their child. The feelings behind both are so very different that I can't imagine having a problem with this. I am not seeking a parent in my husband. Neither he or his daughter is seeking a romantic relationship with each other. We all know who we are - parent, child, partner.





My stepdaughter was not living with us full time when the little ones were born. She was 8 yrs old when the first was born %26amp; lived with mom during the week, dad every other weekend %26amp; half of the summer %26amp; school holidays.





We made an effort to present the pregnancy to her as a positive for our family %26amp; in her life. We made it into an adventure that our family (including her) were embarking on %26amp; included her in all of the excitement. We also made an effort to keep her place in our family intact %26amp; important.





She's living with us 24/7, for the past couple years. She's 16 now %26amp; has a normal big sister relationship with both of the little kids. She's closer to her little sister, but I think that's more to do with their individual personalities %26amp; her personal stage in life than anything else.
My husband and I each had 2 when we married, both a boy and girl. Our child togther was a boy. I think having him made it easier for the kids to have a common ground. Everyone was related to him. At first my s/d tried hard not to like me out of loyalty to her mom. Her mom was very threatened. The hardest part for me was the ex wife, never the kids. We never used the word step kids, or step/half siblings. They were all our kids, period. They are all grown now and all the grandkids are mine the same as the bio ones. The first 2 are not blood related and I raised them while they're mom was in boot camp.


It was tough at first but so worth it. I got two kids with out the yucky labor part!!

No comments:

Post a Comment