Saturday, August 21, 2010

If I am filing for disability can I become a foster parent?

My main disability is anxiety I am ok when I am at home or with family but when I go out or when I am by myself I have panic attacks. Does anybody know of anybody on disability payments who foster parent?If I am filing for disability can I become a foster parent?
You cannot be disqualified from foster-care because you have a disability but you can be required to be evaluated for the anxiety and panic attacks if they present a problem with handling or taking care of foster kids who also have serious mental and emotional problems themselves. You will need to contact an agency in your area that does licensing for foster-care parents. They will be able to let you know how to go about being licensed which requires a thorough background and fingerprint check of everyone in the household 18yrs an over, credit and financial statements earnings as well as expenses, a home study of everyone living in the home, home and auto insurance coverage, and a home inspection, etc.If I am filing for disability can I become a foster parent?
There is no ';one'; criteria for becoming a foster parent. There are certain requirements one must meet but those can vary slightly county to county.





The following links provide some basic info but you should contact your county's Department of Human Services. They will answer many of your questions over the phone. Your disability CAN affect your eligibility. It has nothing to do with discrimination, it has to do with your overall ability and preparedness to care for a foster child.





If your anxiety/disability is so crippling that it keeps you from leaving the house, this of course could be a problem regarding your abilities meet the needs and appropriately care for a child.





http://www.families4kids.org/fcbecome.ph鈥?/a>


http://adoption.about.com/od/bystate/Fos鈥?/a>
Yes, you can't be discriminated against for being disabled. While some children may not be suitable for your condition, there are many that would be more than happy to have you. Good luck!





%26lt;%26lt;foster and adoptive mommy to 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment